Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hello,

I visited Beijing this weekend. I worked on Friday of course, but I on Saturday I went on a tour to the Summer Palace, Lama Temple and the Beijing Zoo (Panda Garden).  We ate lunch at the Pearl house.  At the Pearl House, we could buy fresh water pearls, and there were pearls from the ocean.   I learned that oysters from the sea only make one pearl at a time, but fresh water pearls can produce many.  In China, they actually farm oysters to get the fresh water pearls, and they make each oyster produce anywhere from 5 to 15 pearls per oyster.  The color of the pearls depends on what they eat.  They make 3 colors: white, pink color and a very dark grey.

I also had some really great food in Beijing.  I really like Beijing.  The only problem is the pollution.  It is really kind of scary because there is so much pollution.  I will post pictures of the pollution.  I think Beijing reminds me of home, not the size of course.  Beijing is friendlier than Shanghai.  Shanghai is like New York (sorry New Yorkers) and Beijing is like Greensboro.

I had no major adventures just enjoyed the tour.  I will be added a lot of pictures.  I remember some of the history behind the pictures, but not all.  I will try to put labels on them the best that I can.  I hope you enjoy them.
Lama Temple

Lama Temple - tablet was written in 4 languages

Lama Temple -Lamas/monks live in the building next to the bell


The morning sun in Beijing is blocked from the pollution

Pandas at the Beijing Zoo.  Picture is through a glass which had lots of finger prints

Panda at the Beijing Zoo

Fresh water oyster

Birds Nest in Beijing - Picture not clear due to pollution

They call this building Big Pants - again the pollution. The builing is across the highway from my hotel


Apartment buildings in Beijing

Lotus at the Summer Place

Lotus at the Summer Place

Lotuc at the Summer Place

Lotus at the Summer Place

Lotus garden at the Summer Place




Marble Boat - it does not float.  It was builted by the Dragon Lady

A dragon ferry at the Summer Place - I road one of these

A ferry at the Summer Place

Really old tree in the Summer Place


Drive to the airport this is major pollution - the driver had the window down SCARY!!

Accident in Beijing - In the 2 1/2 years that I have been there, I have never seen an accident


Entrance into the Lama Temple

Budha at the Lama Temple


Binkgo Tree in the Lama Tree


No comments:

Post a Comment