Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hello Everyone,

On my last post, I told you that I was going to Changwon, South Korea.  I had a very interesting trip, so lets get started.
 - First, I learned that the people in South Korea do not refer to their country as South Korea.  They are just Korea.  The country name is actually Republic of Korea.  Perhaps some of you knew that, but I did not.
 - The people are very nice, but they kind of keep to themselves.  One interesting fact about them is they brush their teeth all the time and everywhere.  I actually saw a women working at the Kevin Calvin store brushing her teeth at the register.  She did not have any customers, so I guess she just decided to brush her teeth.
 - It is very expensive to live in Korea compared to China and Thailand.
 - Their roads and streets are set-up just like in the US.  Changwon actually reminds me of Greensboro, North Carolina.  It is bigger than GSO.  There are at least 1 million in Changwon, which is one of their bigger cities.
 - The landscape is beautiful there!  There are mountains in every direction that you look.  I will post pictures of the mountains. 

OK to the really good stuff
 - I did not have any encounters with unique bathrooms, but I am sure that they exist.  I am very glad that I did not encounter any unique bathrooms.
 - There were the normal restaurants: McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, and Dunkin Doughnuts
 - I was able to have an Omelet and silver dollar pancakes for breakfast.  The breakfast was buffet style and some cook to order food.
 - The plant cafeteria was a little more interesting. I have to say that most of the time; I DID NOT know what I was eating.  Pork? Beef? Chicken? ETC? There was one day that I chicken and rice soup. I was so thankful!!!
 - My colleagues took me out for a traditional Korea dinner.  OMG!!!  I really cannot describe the experience.  First, there was normal salad (lettuce, tomato, onions, and mushrooms) and rice.  I did know when I was eating beef, fish and shrimp, but pass those items I had no idea.  There was food that I would not even eat.  For me, the food was either too bland or too spicy hot or just unknown.  It was very hard to find the middle of the road.



The building with the white tigers is actually the mall and here a lot of restuarants are.


This was a family area right beside the hotel


The bottom line for me, I think it would be very hard for me to live in Korea based on the food and the living accommodations.

No comments:

Post a Comment